Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My most dreaded thing to do...

I really dislike to cook.  I don't know if it is the preparation or making sure we have all the ingredients or trying to take care of the kids while I am sweating to death b/c the kitchen gets so hot.  Well whatever the reason I do not like to cook.  One day when I am rich from blogging I will pay someone to cook for my family.  You know how people pay for people to come in and clean I would much rather have someone cook for me!!!  Okay enough of my complaining, I really do try to cook with a happy heart but it is very hard for me.  To try to help with the process of dinner I created this Weekly Menu that I have enjoyed.  It takes the stress out of thinking what is for dinner every day.  You can make these, it is so easy!
The menu board is just a cheap frame from Wal-Mart.  Then the backing of the frame is covered in burlap and finally I stamped the days of the week onto the burlap.  Super Easy!!!  Then you can just write the weeks menu on the glass and wipe it off and write the new menu.  Now the other easy part is dinner for tonight which is beans and cornbread.  Seriously one of my family favorites.  I got the recipe from my sister-in-law and she said it was one of her family favorites also.  I didn't believe her until I made it and well is was a hit.
Here is the recipe:
Beans and Rice
This is my kids all time favorite supper and they said that they can live off of it!!!  It is the cheapest thing to make!
1 bag of pinto beans.  Soak according to directions.  Rinse, Add water to about 2inches above the beans. (Can always add more water at the end if it is drying up)  Chop an onion and add.  Put in 1 can of Rotel, salt, pepper, Garlic powder, sometimes I add Cumin to taste.  Bring to a boil and then put on a lid and simmer for 5 hours or more.  Stir occasionally.  Serve with rice.  We put rice in bottom of the bowl, top with beans, Shredded cheese, Sour cream, Salsa, or whatever toppings you like.  I usually fix corn or another type of veggie with this.  Sometimes I use cornbread instead of rice and we call them Indian tacos and so the same thing instead of rice.


So what is for dinner tonight at your house?


1 comment:

  1. love the menu board!! and the recipe sounds super yummy too! :)

    ReplyDelete